Monday, April 19, 2010

One down, 79 to go...

Before I get too sidetracked with cruise nonsense, I have been meaning to write a post about our first wedding anniversary last weekend.

Since our cruise is our actual celebration, although not on our anniversary date, we wanted to keep the weekend of pretty low key. Add to that the fact that Nascar is in town that weekend, so my parents were down doing their biannual charity work, and we were pretty set on a dress down celebration.

We attended the race and watched it from the M&Ms suite, and met the driver, Kyle something-or-other.


We also got to talk to Coach Gibbs (who will always be a football coach to me, but apparently he now does something with racing), although I refrained from yelling foul mouthed Redskins/Dallas banter that would have embarrassed my husband. I will say that if you're going to attend a Nascar race, doing so from the suites is the only way to survive the sweaty, drunken, slurred southern drawl, matted back hair crowd, as well as preserve your hearing for later in life. In fact, I prefer attending all major sporting events in the suites, except for hockey because then you are less likely to find yourself in a middle of a drunken brawl and that is precisely why I attend hockey games in the first place.

My parents got us a wonderfully thoughtful gift in that my mom recreated the top layer of our wedding cake, and managed to track down our imported blown glass cake topper that flung itself off of our cake precisely fifteen minutes into our reception, shattering all over the entry area and leaving a gash in our cake the size of a snowball. Had I not been so intensely sick of everything wedding related and more concerned with when I could take a nap than with what our cake looked like, I probably would have sobbed. But now I have it back, and I love it.




My darling husband also researched the fact that the first anniversary is the paper anniversary and he presented me with beautifully rich monogrammed stationery and a journal. I updated his storybook/scrapbook with pictures of the Beagador and got him golf stuff because, well, that's what he likes.

With an entire year of blissful wed-dom under my belt, I feel the need to share my vast wisdom with the masses, so I will tell you the secret to a happy marriage: Choose your mate wisely, because at some point things are going to really suck and they will be what you have to fall back on. That, and to kiss, even when you want to smack each other, because kissing each other whenever you want to is why you married each other to begin with (according to Sweet Home Alabama anyway, which is like the marriage Bible).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We know that you didn't get your love of all things competitive from your Mother and that is why I agree that watching sporting events from the lap of luxury is the only way to go. Having a lovely dinner and a flushing toilet makes all of them tolerable. Sometimes enjoyable. As for the success to a happy marriage, you just have to play it as you go. Adapt as need be, but you have to do it together. Talking, loving and yes even kissing makes all things right. Enjoy the next 75 years you two, we will be rooting for you each step of the way. Oh, and by the way, we love you both!!!! Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad

Webb said...

What a BEAUTIFUL cake and topper!!! Your mother is one of a kind!

I agree that the suite is the best way to watch sports, unless you're a student at a college event... then there's no place like the standing-room-only college seating!

Happy anniversary to both of you! Best wishes in the years and decades to come!!!