Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cha-Ching

This grown up stuff is expensive!!

Now that the house is officially ours, we have had the garage door serviced, bought a new refrigerator and gas stove, had the house re-locked, scheduled the painters to do the nursery (and we're getting the master bedroom and bath re-done too, just because) and scheduled ADT to come and install new security services. We still have to get landscapers to come out and fix the watering system, install new ceiling fans in some of the rooms, have the backsplash in the kitchen tiled with mosaic tile, replace the doorbell, and possibly replace the exhaust hood in the kitchen when I figure out whether or not the current one will compete with my gas stove cooking.

Then we have to buy the copious amount of baby related gear that I referred to in my earlier post.

Yikes.

Tomorrow I go to the doc and start bladder instills for the pain my I.C. is causing. I've had the bladder instills before, although obviously not while pregnant, and they aren't a huge deal, so I am hoping it will help me get more than an hour of sleep at a time without having to run to the bathroom because peanut is pressing on my poor, sick bladder. It's a bit unnerving having any kind of procedure while my baby is still making her home in there, but if her mommy doesn't start getting some sleep and relief from the pain she's going to have much less time to shop for pretty things, so it's in her best interest.

We are just shy of halfway there and it's slowly dawning on me that at the end of this year we will have a beautiful baby girl to bring home (God willing). I can't believe that a hospital is going to allow us to just take her - don't they know I haven't changed a diaper in years? How will I know which cry means, "I'm hungry" and which means, "I'm sick"? So many of my friends have multiple kids and I gaze at them in awe - how did you learn it all?

Of course we will be taking birthing, CPR, infant safety, breastfeeding, lamaze, and whatever other class they invent in the meantime, but I have a sneaking suspicion that practicing these things on Molly-Wet-n-Cry is just not going to be the same.

Apparently there just isn't such a place in life as 'ready for a baby' because six months ago I was sobbing that we were ready and wanted one so badly and now I wake up in the middle of the night afraid that we aren't going to pick the right bottles or that she's going to get her little fingers trapped in the crib slats.

I guess we'll just do the best we can, and hope that Sprocket picks up the slack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have faith in you all, you will make it through just like we did when you were born. You never really know how you do it but you do it and that is how every baby has survived in the past. There is no right or wrong way until after you screw up and then you fix it. Sometimes just having faith that it will all work out in the end is enough.
And yes she will hate you but not really and it only lasts for about 7 years.
Dad and I will sit back and just smile, just like Nana and Papa did and then play mud pies. :)

Sam said...

Congrats on making it 1/2 way! Hopefully the next half is just as smooth, and you get a healthy, happy little girl.

I am sure your little girl will be a great teacher too - she will let you know what works & what doesn't :)

And congrats on the house! Its so much fun to set up a new place, even if it is exhausting.