Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day Five



When I was three all I wanted was a little sister. We would play with dolls, stay up late and whisper secrets to each other in our makeshift bedroom fort.

When we went to the hospital to see my little sister I could hardly contain myself. And then there was this wriggly little creature with as much hair as a capuchin monkey. His name was Michael and my dreams were crushed.

I decided I would call him Hogwash instead.

He maintains that I tried to kill him several times during his first years of life but I disagree. I was just toughening him up for life.

Now I adore my baby brother and couldn't imagine life without him.

His intelligence often surprises me given the fact that he chooses to spend much of his time with his overgrown frat brothers discussing the merits and beer and women. His work ethic rivals a superhero - I've never seen him back down from a tough job. He's also incredibly supportive and no one else gets the welcome from Sprocket that Uncle Mikey gets when he pulls into the driveway. Often the Beagador tries to shove at least three gifts into his jaw for his favorite person, and he wriggles back and forth like a sidewinder.

I do look forward to the day when he finds a girl that will encourage him to wear ironed clothes and eat things with color, but regardless of his rampant bachelordom he is the perfect little brother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the things that I am most proud of is that my children like each other. I knew that when you guys spent that year living together it would either draw you two together or push you far apart, I am so glad that you are close. I know that Mike and you love each other. I can see it in the way that you banter. The way that you hug when you are together and it is so nice to see that Mike finally feels like he has a brother in Corey. As parents we always worry about our kids, what will happen when we are gone, I don't worry because I know that you will have each other. As you know, our generation doesn't really have close siblings, a few exceptions but not to tight with our sisters and brothers, I miss having someone in my life that knows me from when I was a kid. Who saw me with a runny nose and still thinks fondly of me. That's a true gift. Thank you both for letting me see that you have it.
MOM